EMIS ™ - The Engine Motor Interface System
What is EMIS ™ ?
- EMIS ™ is a patent pending technology developed by NetGain Motors, Inc. that utilizes an electric motor configured into the drive train of a conventional vehicle to assist the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) by applying strategic amounts of electrical assist power when it is most beneficial to the fuel economy of the vehicle.
How does EMIS ™ work?
- EMIS ™ interfaces to a conventional vehicles on-board computer system to ascertain the current demands being requested of the ICE by the driver. Based upon numerous parameters, including: vehicle speed, engine RPM, engine load, absolute throttle position, mass air flow, and other pertinent information, EMIS ™ instantaneously determines the amount of electrical assist power that can be applied to the drive train motor in order to seamlessly assist the internal combustion engine.
- The electrical assist power is applied in a totally transparent manner and the driver is normally not even aware of the electrical assist. The system is so transparent, that there are no changes needed to the drivers normal driving routine. The amount of additional power that can be supplied is limited by the size of the electric motor, the power capabilities of the motor controller, and the batteries that are installed.
What vehicles will EMIS ™ work on?
- EMIS ™ was designed to work on all rear wheel drive vehicles with automatic transmissions that have been manufactured since 1996.
How difficult is EMIS ™ to install?
EMIS ™ was designed to be simple to install! If all parts are available (TransWarP motor, motor supports, modified drive shaft, battery boxes, batteries, cables, connectors, controller, etc.), the installation can be done in less than one day. The EMIS ™ unit plugs into the vehicles on-board computer, into the motor controller, and splices into the vehicles 12-volt power supply, a reverse tail light, and brake light. Mounting the motor properly is critical to the operation of the system. The exact angle of the original drive shaft must be maintained in order to ensure long life and eliminate potential vibration issues.
How much battery power does EMIS ™ require?
- EMIS ™ requires 48 Volts or 72 Volts of additional battery power. Flooded batteries (batteries that require water to be added) are NOT recommended for use with this system. Battery boxes must be secured to the vehicle. Normally, these are placed under the vehicle along the frame rails, as is the motor controller.
How can EMIS ™ assist a vehicle with only 4/6 batteries, and for how long?
- As mentioned, EMIS ™ STRATEGICALLY applies power, only when it is most beneficial to fuel economy. The electric motors that we have developed for this system can produce 135 ft. lbs. of additional torque at 1450 RPM's! Most applications require FAR less than this amount of torque. The amount of time that EMIS ™ can assist the vehicle is determined in large part to the capacity of the batteries that are used, and how these batteries are maintained. The system does not currently use regen, nor do we currently offer a charge sustaining solution - it is expected that the batteries will be recharged on a daily basis.
As a rule of thumb, our experiences have been that you can expect about 1 mile for every 2 Ahrs. of battery capacity. Recent additions to the software algorithms allow EMIS ™ to be "tuned" by a qualified technician to extend the range for specific driving patterns.
What is the expected fuel economy savings I'll get with EMIS ™ and how much will it cost?
- EMIS ™ was originally conceived as an offering to fleet vehicles that travel an average of 84 miles per day and average 6-8 mile per gallon. The expected pay back period for vehicles in this initial target audience is 18 to 24 months. In general, the greater your gas mileage, the lower the potential fuel savings benefit of EMIS ™ . As our production volume increases we expect that critical component quantities may bring the cost down for normal passenger vehicles to the point where they may experience a similar payback period.
Are there other benefits to EMIS ™ ?
- Many of the features incorporated into EMIS ™ have particular benefits to fleet operators. For instance, with the addition of the optional GPS module EMIS ™ can maintain a log of when, where and how the vehicle has been driven. This information can be utilized by fleet managers to compare routes for length, number of stops, speed, hours of operation, time per stop, fuel economy, acceleration and braking characteristics, etc. The uniqueness of the system allows multiple vehicles histories to be compared against each other, but the addition of the GPS module also makes it possible to determine the affects of terrain on fuel economy.
- Additionally, with the use of the optional diagnostic monitoring tool, qualified technicians may modify the default behavior of EMIS ™ . Some of the settings include:
- low battery voltage disengage
- maximum speed disengage
- high amperage disengage
- minimum speed engage
- driving mode selection
- acceleration mode
How can I use EMIS ™ if I have a front-wheel drive vehicle?
- We are working on a solution for front-wheel drive vehicles as well as standard transmission vehicles. No timeframe has been established for release of these products.